Pages

Wednesday 5 October 2016

#BLOGTOBER DAY 5: TOP FIVE WEDNESDAY: Top five books that took ages to read

(Top Five Wednesday was created by GingerReadsLainey. Find out more at the Goodreads group!)

I normally read books very quickly, but sometimes I struggle. I put the book I'm halfway through down, pick up another one and speed through it, try to return to the first book... Oh, and I'm already off on another adventure, reading something completely unrelated.
I'm only including books that I've actually finished, because I do have a pile of half read ones on the go at the moment (oh, 'Emma', I've been reading you for four years!).

5) 'The View From the Cheap Seats' by Neil Gaiman
Image result for the view from the cheap seats
This book of non-fiction essays is lengthy! I started reading it the day I got it out of the library, and had it for nearly two months as I dipped in and out, reading a couple of essays at a time. 

4) 'Uglies' by Scott Westerfeld
Image result for uglies
One of the reasons this took me so long is because I read it in the middle of a reading slump, so I was only able to concentrate on a couple of pages at a time without wanting to tear my hair out. I'm hoping to reread this eventually, and move on with the rest of the series, because I think I would really enjoy it if I was reading it at the right time. 

3) 'City of Bones' by Cassandra Clare
Image result for city of bones
I used to really struggle with all kinds of fantasy, whether high fantasy or urban fantasy. I just couldn't get into the mindset, so I was constantly starting books and then abandoning them for quick and easy contemporaries.
'City of Bones' was one of the victims of this. I can remember flying through the other four books in the series ("Why Alyce!" you cry, "There are six books in The Mortal Instruments!". I HAVEN'T READ THE LAST ONE, OKAY?!) but I struggled with this first installment.

2) 'Severed Heads, Broken Hearts' by Robyn Schneider
Image result for severed heads broken hearts
Aka 'The Beginning of Everything', this book was the beginning of a year long slump for me. It was just so bad that I didn't want to pick up another book in case the next one I chose to read was even worse. The potential for badness was just too scary for me to even try to read anything.

1) 'Allegiant' by Veronica Roth
Image result for allegiant veronica roth
My relationship with 'Allegiant' was so bad that it took me almost 12 weeks to chug through it. The middle section and the alternating viewpoints were the areas that really caused me to struggle, but I read the last 150 pages in a day... I was so conflicted!

I hope you enjoyed this Top Five Wednesday! Which books took you the longest to read?

No comments:

Post a Comment