Pages

Wednesday 12 October 2016

#BLOGTOBER DAY 12: TOP FIVE WEDNESDAY: Top five inaccurate book covers

(Top Five Wednesday was created by GingerReadsLainey. Find out more at the Goodreads group!)

We've all been there: you grab a book because OH MY GOD THAT COVER IS SO AWESOME/BEAUTIFUL/INSPIRATIONAL and then you read the book and WHAT THE HECK? WHAT IS THIS?!
The cover completely betrays you, and instead of picking up a badass science-fiction novel, you find yourself right in the middle of a Mills and Boon-esque romance. (Okay, I've never had it quite that bad, but you get the gist...).
These five books all misled me with their covers. Eventually I might make better covers that suit them more, but I haven't had time with all of the Blogtober excitement... It's a project idea for the future, though!

5) 'The Curious Tale of the Lady Caraboo' by Catherine Johnson
Image result for the curious tale of the lady caraboo
Okay, this one isn't technically inaccurate - based off of the descriptions of the Lady Caraboo, it fits well - but it's just a bland and boring cover for what is actually a fantastical tale. I would have much preferred a cover without Caraboo represented, so we could conjure her in our heads for ourselves. 

4) 'The Loving Husband' by Christobel Kent
Image result for the loving husband
Based off of the tagline 'You'd trust him with your life... wouldn't you?' and the bed I assumed this was going to be a little more like 'Before I Go To Sleep' (which, admittedly, I haven't read), but I feel like this is one of those thrillers that needs a darker cover.

3) 'Golden Boy' by Abigail Tarttelin
Image result for golden boy abigail tarttelin
Is this a book about bikes? No, it's a book about intersexuality! 

2) The Dead Girls Detective Agency series by Suzy Cox
Image result for dead girls detective agency
They're so bright and happy, but in reality the dead girls are not hanging out in the clouds: they're stuck in a hotel until they can solve their murders and pass to the other side. It looks like a cute contemporary, but they're actually quite dark and desolate. 

1) 'Far From You' by Tess Sharpe
Image result for far from you tess sharpeImage result for far from you tess sharpe
When I first saw this book on the shelf in the library (the cover on the left being the UK edition) I looked at it and thought 'hm, that looks like it's going to feature performing arts and drama students'. I put it down, disinterested, because I'd read a lot of books like that. It was only after I saw recommendations online that I realised it was a young adult LGBT crime novel, and I picked it up, devoured it, and it quickly became one of my favourite books of all time.

I hope you enjoyed this Top Five Wednesday! Which book covers have really misled you?

1 comment:

  1. Well done,you!
    Lisa @ https://hopewellslibraryoflife.wordpress.com/2016/10/12/top-five-wednesday-inaccurate-book-covers/

    ReplyDelete