Pages

Tuesday 28 February 2017

TOP TEN TUESDAY: Top ten positive things about unemployment

(Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and The Bookish!)

At the end of March, I'm going to be unemployed for the first time in two and a half years. I'm finding the prospect a little bit terrifying, but I'm also looking forward to it - something that a lot of people find incomprehensible.
Seeing as this week is a freebie week (Jamie from TBTB is dealing with her first pregnancy, so has put the feature on a brief hiatus) I thought I'd take the time to talk about the reasons I'm looking forward to being unemployed... If only because it'll convince me that I'm making the right decision!

10) No early mornings
Image result for snooze button
If you're unemployed, you never have to get up when it's still dark outside. You don't even need to know the definition of the phrase 'alarm clock', because you can get up when you want. Sleep all day, who cares?!

9) Binge watching galore
Image result for binge watching
Never seen an episode of 'Breaking Bad'? Only halfway through the first series of 'Orange Is the New Black'? Always meant to watch 'Game of Thrones'? Now's your chance! Watching long series like these shows commitment, which makes a great addition to your CV. 

8) No buses
Image result for public transport
Well, this is a lie. I will still be taking buses to hang out with friends or go to see concerts. But I won't be a slave to the bus timetable. 
Often I arrive at work nearly two hours before my shift because I don't have a bus that will get me there any later, so all of the time that I've wasted over the years will be reclaimed! 

7) Pokemon hunting for days
Image result for pokemon hunting
I bet I'll be able to finish the Pokedex within a week as soon as I leave my job. I have the determination and I have the data - this is my first goal as an unemployed person. 

6) Being able to conform to gender norms
Image result for housewife image
Instead of paying my own way, my boyfriend is going to be paying for everything. Instead of splitting food bills equally, I'll expect him to treat me all of the time, because that's what a real man should do. Who genuinely believes women should be earning their own money in this day and age?! 

5) Finding a talent
Image result for playing keyboard
I've always wanted to learn to draw or play an instrument or paint or knit or cross stitch, and I'm going to use this time productively to attempt one or more of those things. I'd love to be able to create my own items that I could sell somewhere like Etsy: I've always wanted to contribute more. 

4) Unlimited days off
Image result for skipping woman
I can go wherever I want to go, do whatever I want to do. I've been thinking recently that I would love to learn more about the area around Swindon, fully exploring the different beautiful historic places that surround it. Bath, Trowbridge, Cricklade, Marlborough... I'm going to take the time to acquaint myself with all of them. 

3) Blogging bonanza
Image result for typing hands gif
I'm going to be able to think up new features, create new graphics, maybe even buy a domain and code my own website with all of the spare time on my hands. Maybe I can focus on monetising the blog, so I'll at least have some kind of income - that would be pretty awesome. 

2) Eliminating the TBR pile
Image result for pile of books
I read a lot. I've already read forty books this year! If I didn't have a job, I'd be able to read SO MUCH MORE. Maybe I could have read fifty or sixty books this year already.

1) Time to tidy
Image result for book piles
I have a lot of books/CDs/clothes/magazines etc. etc. I keep acquiring things and not having time to sort them out, which is why there are encroaching piles of stuff all over my house. As soon as I lose my job I'm going to go through everything, getting rid of things that I don't want anymore and weeding my book and music collections and my bursting wardrobe. 

I hope you enjoyed this Top Ten Tuesday!
In case you haven't guessed, a lot of these were sarcastic. I'm trying to look on the bright side, but it's getting more difficult with every passing day.
Have you ever dealt with impending unemployment? If so, how did you cope? Teach me your ways!

No comments:

Post a Comment