Pages

Thursday 5 May 2016

Promoting Swindon shows!

You might have noticed that there was no New Music Monday this week. That's because I decided to treat myself to a day off for the bank holiday. Instead, I've decided to feature a rather exciting post shining a light on some upcoming shows in my local area.

I live in Swindon, and we've had some brilliant live bands perform in our town over the last twelve months (such as Moose Blood, Decade and Kristopher Roe from The Ataris) and the promoters at Sheer Music have brought my attention to a couple more really exciting shows that are rapidly approaching. If you're in the Swindon area, you need to go along to at least one of these!

Despite Everything - Level 3, 12/05/16
Coming to Swindon NEXT WEEK, we have Greek rockers Despite Everything. Performing at Level 3 (previously The Furnace), their brand of punk rock will definitely get you moving - most of their songs are under 3 minutes! If you're looking for a fun Thursday night out, and a way to bring the weekend that little bit earlier, Level 3 is the place to do it. If you haven't heard of them, what are you waiting for? You can hear their new album in full here.
Despite Everything's support, Bruce Willis, is not the Bruce Willis that you'll be thinking of - instead, they're a punk band from Brighton. You can hear some of their releases on their Bandcamp, and I think their grunge sound will definitely translate well into a live environment. 

Recreations. - The Vic, 13/05/16
Also next week, Sam Duckworth will be bringing his newest musical project, Recreations., to Swindon for the second time in a matter of months. Last time he opened for himself, but this time he's bringing along some friends for the ride, namely Sean McGowan and Rob Lynch
As soon as the show was announced I grabbed tickets: come on, it's Sam Duckworth, he's a brilliant musician and his live shows are legendary. I wasn't going to turn down the opportunity to see him again. However, having Rob Lynch on the bill is a massive bonus -I saw him supporting All Time Low last March, and I've been wanting to see him again since. 
I hadn't actually heard of Sean McGowan before, but he's a 22 year old singer/songwriter from Southampton who's been touring solidly for the past 5 years. I'm sure he must put on a great show with that much experience under his belt.
You can purchase tickets for this show here: don't hang about! What better way to spend a Friday night?

Gnarwolves - Level 3, 17/06/16
Last, but most certainly not least, I'm giving you a bit more notice on this one, because Gnarwolves are returning to Swindon next month. They've been to our town a handful of times over the last year or so, and I've sadly missed all of their visits: I live a busy life, okay!
While I'm excited to see Gnarwolves, I'm probably most pumped about the appearance of Rain on this line-up. A hometown success story, they're making waves following the release of their recent EP, 'Symphony Pains', being announced at festivals such as Fieldview and Dot To Dot. If shoegaze is your kind of thing, you're missing out if you haven't given Rain a listen
Broadbay have released a couple of EPs - most recently 'Living Room', which you can hear here - but I really like the sound of their first release, 'Demo(n)s', from back in 2014. Just looking at their Facebook page, you can see that they've already got themselves a pretty solid fanbase due to their live performances. I bet they'll make a few new fans in Swindon, too.
The third and final support, Crows-an-Wra, describe themselves as a progressive punk band, but with the shouting spoken word they have a heavier vibe to their sound. Their most recent release, 'Kakotopia', was only put out in January, but they've been uploading music to their band camp for over three years at this point. I particularly appreciate their psychedelic EP artwork. 
This show is the week after Download, so attending is reliant on me surviving my first proper rock festival... Fingers crossed I'll see you there. You can purchase tickets for this show here: £10 for 4 bands is an absolute bargain!

No comments:

Post a Comment