Pages

Wednesday 16 December 2015

TOP TEN TUESDAY: Ten best books I read in 2015

(Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and The Bookish!)

Phew! I finally completed my updated Goodreads challenge this week - 150 books, done! - and as you can imagine I've read so really awesome books this year. It's taken a long time for me to narrow that 150 down to just 10... There were a lot more that could have made it in. I've included some books that were five star reads, and some books that might have rated lower that just had a profound effect on me - sometimes the best reads aren't necessarily the most perfect reads, but that's what makes them even better.

10) 'The Winner's Curse' and 'The Winner's Crime' by Marie Rutkoski
Yeah, yeah, this means that my total list will be up to 11, but I thought both books in the series so far were mind-blowingly good, and I'm very excited to read the third installment next year.

9) 'Simon Vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda' by Becky Albertalli
I go on about 'Simon...' much too much, but it was such a beautiful story and I absolutely loved the characters, so why shouldn't I?

8) 'Black Orchid' by Neil Gaiman
I only started reading graphic novels and comics this year - I know, I was late to the party! - but I absolutely adored 'Black Orchid', which has a gorgeous art style and a brilliant concept. 

7) 'The Girl at Midnight' by Melissa Grey
I didn't know that 'The Girl at Midnight' was going to be a series when I started it, but after falling madly in love with Echo and her world I was so excited to discover that there were going to be more installments. I find it very hard to read fantasy sometimes (urban and high, both are tricky for my brain!) so I was surprised to read this book as quickly as it as and to really dive into the story. 

6) 'A Court of Thorns and Roses' by Sarah J. Maas
Getting the award for best fairytale retelling I read this year, I adored 'A Court of Thorns and Roses', Sarah J. Maas's take on Beauty and the Beast. The second novel, 'A Court of Mist and Fury', is coming in May, and I'm very excited about carrying on this series.

5) 'Spinster' by Kate Bolick
I've read a heck of a lot of non-fiction this year, but 'Spinster' is definitely the best of the books (apart from 'We Should All Be Feminists' by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, which is only a short essay and is definitely something you should read). I adore Kate Bolick's voice, and - as someone who has always preferred her own company - it's reassuring to know that it's not completely abnormal to adore being an introvert and an anti-social bedbug. 

4) 'The Art of Being Normal' by Lisa Williamson
I read quite a few novels featuring transgender characters this year, but the story of David was one of the most affecting. I'm hoping to read more transgender fiction, but I'd definitely recommend this one. 

3) 'Shadow and Bone' by Leigh Bardugo
I was probably one of the last people in the world to read the Grisha trilogy (in fact, I haven't finished 'Ruin and Rising' yet!) but 'Shadow and Bone' was one of the best first books in a series that I've ever read. The world is exciting and well-crafted, the characters are authentic and the story is captivating. 

2) 'The Last Leaves Falling' by Sarah Benwell
The only book I read this year based on ALS, and the only book I read this year based on a Japanese family that really brought the location to life. This is another book that I go on about way too much, and I'll continue... Well, at least until Sarah releases a second novel.

1) 'Volition' by Lily Paradis
From what I can remember, 'Volition' is the only book that made me cry this year, and boy it was some hardcore ugly crying. I absolutely adored this book: the characters, the story, the conclusion... It was entirely perfect. 

I feel as though I've started more series this year than I'd realised - I'd promised myself that I was going to stop starting series until I'd finished a lot more! All in all, looking back, I've had a very varied reading year but a very successful reading year. I'm looking forward to diving in to 2016 and reading as much as I can get my hands on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment