Pages

Thursday 1 December 2016

November wrap-up

I am SO GLAD November is over.

In case you hadn't guessed based on the lack of blog activity (okay, I say lack, but there were still 25 posts... It felt like I wasn't doing much, okay?!) I've been supremely busy, and I haven't had time to do any of the things I really wanted to do - like reading - because of being busy at work and trying to write NaNoWriMo which, thankfully, I managed to finish on the last day of the month.

After participating in both Blogtober and NaNoWriMo, I'm looking forward to having a bit more of a relaxed month in December, but things will be back to normally around here - hopefully - when 2017 begins.

Bookish wrap-up: 
In November I read 11 books, 5 of which were graphic novels and 2 that were non-fiction titles. Compared to last month's total of 29 I'm a little disappointed by that. I'm hoping to read both 'Pride and Prejudice' and 'Emma' in December to catch up and complete the #2016ClassicsChallenge, but I'm extremely far behind on my personal series challenge, so have no possible way of catching up with that.

The best book I read this month?
Image result for spill simmer falter wither
I loved 'Spill Simmer Falter Wither'. I was struggling with everything else I tried to read, but I flew through this and fell head over heels with Sara Baume's writing. I'm already looking forward to her second novel being released.

The worst book I read this month?
Image result for age of innocence
*elongated groan* I finally finished 'The Age of Innocence' by Edith Wharton and it was THE MOST ANNOYING BOOK EVER. I can't believe I waded through pages and pages of crap to just sink further into the hole of disappointment. 

Musical wrap-up:

It's been hard to choose an album of the month, because there were new releases from both Waterparks and Highly Suspect, but I had to choose the latter:
Image result for the boy who died wolf
'The Boy Who Died Wolf' is mature, intricate, musically diverse and utterly compelling, and it's quite easily the best album that's been released in 2016.

However, the song of the month needs to be my new favourite You Me At Six song, 'Give':
I've told my boyfriend that from now on this is our song, but he's still arguing with me. What a loser.

After being to over ten shows this month, choosing a concert of the month has been the hardest thing in the world, but I think that accolade also needs to be awarded to Highly Suspect, for their headline show at The Dome in Tufnell Park. Getting to hear their new music in a live environment gave it a completely different feeling, and it was amazing to see them in a 500 capacity venue - such a contrast to when I discovered them at their Reading festival debut.

I hope you had a great November and you have a wonderful December - I'm so excited for Christmas to get here!

No comments:

Post a Comment