I've actually found this topic extremely difficult. Most of the books that I've read and really loved this year have had awful mother figures... Either they've abandoned ship and have left their offspring to fend for themselves, or they've been addicts who've brought no end of problems to their families, or they've been such minor background characters that they aren't even worth mentioning. Quite often you'll have dads being both parents (good examples of this being 'Fangirl' by Rainbow Rowell and 'To All The Boys I've Loved Before' by Jenny Han) but I'd rather include those in a list of best dad characters - they're certainly brilliant!
I had to dive way back to find five characters I could use - I mean, I read 'Beautiful Creatures' way back in 2010! Hopefully I'll be able to find some great recommendations for books with brilliant maternal characters.
5) Jocelyn Fray from Cassandra Clare's The Mortal Instruments
4) Deanna in the Red Rising trilogy by Pierce Brown
3) Mrs. Garrett from 'My Life Next Door' by Huntley Fitzpatrick
2) Amma from Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl's Caster Chronicles
1) Eileen from 'Alienated' by Melissa Landers
I hope you enjoyed this Top Five Wednesday. Now bring on those recommendations!