Pages

Tuesday 4 August 2015

TOP TEN TUESDAY: Ten fairy tale retellings

(Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and The Bookish!)

This week, top ten Tuesday is focused on fairy tale retellings; either the ones we've read or the ones we need to read. I've had a tough time trimming this down to just ten - so I decided to go with ten fairy tale retellings that I own, rather than just ones that I'm excited about eventually acquiring and reading.
So, in no particular order:



1) 'Fateful' by Claudia Gray
Not exactly a fairy tale retelling, but a retelling of the sailing (and subsequent sinking) of the Titanic.

2) 'Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters' by Jane Austen and Ben H. Winters
Again, not a fairy tale retelling, but a retelling of a classic novel using fairy tale aspects.

3) 'Dorothy Must Die' by Danielle Paige
A retelling of The Wizard Of Oz, featuring Dorothy as the evil character and another human, Amy, as the girl entrusted with killing her.

4) The Splintered series by A. G. Howard
I've got 'Ensnared' picture in the image, because it's the only physical copy that I own, but it's preceded by 'Splintered' and 'Unhinged'. These three novels are modern days retellings of the Alice In Wonderland books by Lewis Carroll, and they are bloody brilliant. 

5) 'Red Riding Hood' by Sarah Blakley-Cartwright 
I wonder what this one could be a retelling of? Hmm... 

6) 'Sisters Red' by Jackson Pearce
The first book in the fairy tale retellings series, 'Sisters Red' also focuses on the story of Red Riding Hood. The second novel in the series, 'Sweetly', is a retelling of Hansel and Gretel, and I know there are another two books in the series but I'm not quite sure what they're retellings of. These are books that I really need to hurry up and get around to reading!

7) 'A Court Of Thorns and Roses' by Sarah J. Maas
When I first read 'A Court of Thorns and Roses' it took me SO LONG to realise that it was a retelling of Beauty and the Beast, but now it's one of my most treasured fairy tale retellings of all time. 

8) 'Beauty' by Robin McKinley
This one is also rather self-explanatory.  

9) 'Goddess of Spring' by P. C. Cast
Not exactly a fairy tale retelling, the 'Goddess of Spring' novel focuses on retelling the story of Persephone and Hades, so it's a retelling of mythology. The Goddess... series as a whole focuses on mythological retellings, but this is the only one I own, and one of only three that I've read.

10) The Abandon trilogy by Meg Cabot
I only own 'Abandon' in a hard copy, because I got the second novel out from the library and I own the third book on my Kindle. 'Abandon' also focuses on the story of Hades and Persephone. I don't know how this trilogy ends, because I haven't read the third book yet - it's something else that I really need to get around to, but I must read the first two books first because it's been at least three years since I first read them.

I hope you enjoyed my Top Ten Tuesday! Feel free to post links to your Top Ten Tuesdays underneath, and educate me on the retellings that I need to get my hands on - I can already think of a couple that I must go out and buy...

2 comments:

  1. AHH I LOVE SPLINTERED! I'm such a Wonderland nut though, so I looooove all Alice-ish retellings. :D Dorothy Must Die is gorgeously creeptastic too. *happy sigh* Here's my TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you read the Alice in Zombieland series? I haven't gotten around to them yet, but I've heard they're a lot of fun!

      Delete