Pages

Tuesday 9 February 2016

TOP TEN TUESDAY: Ten romances (AKA I ship you so hard)

(Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and The Bookish!)

It's Valentine's Day on Sunday (don't act like you didn't know, you can't avoid the TV adverts and the card shops filling with neon red anatomically incorrect hearts!) and so this week Top Ten Tuesday is a Valentine's themed freebie. This means I've decided to list my favourite romances of all time EVER - whether that be on the screen or on the page - so sit back, relax, and enjoy...

10) Summer and Tom
Summer and Tom do not have a happy ending, and that's one of the reasons that '(500) Days Of Summer' is in my top ten films of all time. It's messy and it's heartbreaking, but it's realistic - I love their romance because it's not perfect, and because it's one of the most human relationships I've ever seen on film.

9) Mia and Adam
I will admit that I do prefer 'If I Stay' novel Mia and Adam more than I like the screen versions, but I still think they're an amazing couple, and they sacrifice for each other which is a huge thing. 

8) Barney and Robin
Because every time I watch the episode of 'How I Met Your Mother' when they get engaged, I cry for about an hour. Every. Single. Time. Barney and Robin were all I ever needed and more. 

7) Aria and Ezra
I feel as though I like TV Aria and Ezra more than book Aria and Ezra because in the 'Pretty Little Liars' novels the recurring characters change every five minutes without explanation - people disappear and reappear and there's no real cohesion - but on the series we really got to see the development of their relationship and I JUST LOVE THEM SO DAMNED MUCH. 

6) Liam and Annie
I love a doomed, failing relationship. It's one of the things that really draws me to characters in the first place. So when the very first episode of '90210' that I saw was Annie turning down Liam's proposal, I knew that I was going to root for them until the very end. 

5) Blair Waldorf and Chuck Bass
I watched 'Gossip Girl' before I read any of the books by Cecily von Ziegesar, and I feel as though that's a good thing: apparently there's no Chuck and Blair in the books, which I think is blasphemous! I never really cared about the Dan/Nate/Serena love triangle, but Chuck and Blair were obviously meant to be together. 

4) Emma and Adam
I don't know why I love 'No Strings Attached' as much as I do. It's cheesy as heck: they decide to be friends with benefits, then they fall madly in love. But Adam makes Emma a period mix. A GODDAMN PERIOD MIX. Tell me that's not the end goal for a relationship?

3) Clarke and Lexa
Okay, I'm sorry if this gives anyone spoilers for 'The 100', but CLARKE AND LEXA! CLARKE AND LEXA!!!! It's not officially on, I just think it would be brilliant if the writers were brave enough to have a strong, flawed female protagonist embarking on a lesbian relationship that would preferably have a happy ending, especially in a show that's aimed at young adults and teenagers - there's more lesbian representation for adults, and I think it's something younger people need too!

2) Dexter and Emma
From David Nicholls' 'One Day', and the film of the same name, Dexter and Emma are the modern star-crossed lovers and I fell head over heels in love with their story. Meeting on the last day of university, they bump into each other every so often and stay friends, but they always wonder whether they could have something more. I haven't actually been able to bring myself to watch the film, because the book is one of my favourites! 

1) Ianto Jones and Captain Jack Harkness
If Ianto and Jack aren't your ultimate ship, you either haven't watched Torchwood or you just have no common sense. Look at how adorable they are. My heart aches with how much I love them. I shipped Ianto and Jack before I even knew what shipping was - that's how deeply my love for them burns! 

...Okay, looking back at that list there's definitely more screen relationships than page relationships! I just find it really difficult to rate a romance highly in YA, because they're often so cliched - hopefully I'll be able to find some books that defy that to make my next romance countdown more balanced!
I hope you enjoyed this Top Ten Tuesday. Do you agree with any of my romances? Do you think I missed a really important ship? Comment down below! 

6 comments:

  1. Tom and Summer, Adam and Mia, Great picks for your lists.
    If you are interested my TTT is here: http://powisamy.blogspot.co.uk/2016/02/top-ten-tuesday-top-ten-anti-valentines.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chuck and Blair! One of my favourite TV couples!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2016/02/09/top-ten-tuesday-43/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely the best thing to come out of GG!

      Delete