Pages

Wednesday 3 February 2016

TOP FIVE WEDNESDAY: Top five badasses

(Top Five Wednesday was created by GingerReadsLainey. Find out more at the Goodreads group!)

I read a lot of books that feature badass characters, so this week's topic gave me an endless realm of possibility. But I'm all for female empowerment, so this week I'm only choosing five female badasses - and I'm sure you'll agree, they're all pretty butt-kicking and awesome.

5) Feyre
I will admit, I struggled over whether to put Feyre in here. I thought she was extremely badass at the start of the book - she struggles in the wilderness to provide for her family - but she gets rather swept up in the romance towards the end of the book. Hopefully she'll regain some of her badassery during the second novel. 

4) Kestrel
Kestrel starts off as a bit of a spoiled rich girl, but after she learns to open her heart and her mind to Arin, the slave she purchases at the market, she becomes a much better character. Yes, she makes some stupid decisions, but overall she does the right thing and to hell with the consequences. 
Also, she has a sword on the cover. Can you be any more badass?

3) Ringer
Ringer's been in my mind since I saw 'The 5th Wave' in the cinema last week. I adore Ringer's character in the book, and her badassery is translated fairly well on to the screen (except for the overabundance of eyeliner, which is totally not Ringer...) so I liked seeing her kick some Other butt. I still haven't read 'The Infinite Sea', but I'm sure Ringer isn't going to change too much. 

2) Mustang
I haven't finished 'Golden Son' yet: I KNOW, I'm SLACKING, 'Morning Star' comes out in like two weeks! So I don't know if Mustang's badassery continues through the second installment, but I adore her in the first book. She's independent and strong, but she also understands the importance of teamwork and accepting help, which makes her an even better character. 

1) Batgirl
Is choosing a superhero cheating? NAW. Female superheroes are the best, so when I knew I had to pick badasses I knew I had to pick Batgirl (mostly because I only read the graphic novel last week, so it's fresh in my mind, but also because she has my dream wardrobe so she's badass on two levels). I was very, very close to also including Supergirl and Harley Quinn in this list, but I thought I'd limit myself to one superhero... This time.

I hope you enjoyed this Top Five Wednesday! Who are your top five female badasses?

8 comments:

  1. I definitely agree with Ringer! If you are interested my T5W is here: http://powisamy.blogspot.co.uk/2016/02/top-5-wednesday-biggest-badarses.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great picks! I agree about Feyre although for me she was still pretty badass when fighting for Tamlin (even though she barely survived it ahah), it was her motivations that changed the most. Kestrel also goes through a lot of change which I love - her character is one of my favourites! Harley Quinn and Batgirl are 2 of my favourite superheroes <3
    Enchanted by YA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good point - it's been so long since I read it that I'd almost completely forgotten about that! She's certainly going to get more badass throughout the course of the second novel.
      You have great choice in superheroes! :P

      Delete
  3. I haven't read any of these books, but A Court of Thorns and Roses has been on my radar for a while now. Hopefully I can get to it soon! Great Top 5 :)
    My T5W! :)
    The Art Of Not Breathing by Sarah Alexander.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go and read it, you've still got plenty of time until 'A Court of Mist and Fury' releases!

      Delete
  4. I haven't read The 5th Wave, but I watched the movie and Ringer was awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely read it, it's much more developed than the film and Ringer is even more badass on paper - I'm sure you'll love it :P

      Delete