Pages

Tuesday 22 September 2015

TOP TEN TUESDAY: Ten books I need to read in autumn

(Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and The Bookish!)

This week, Top Ten Tuesday is the ten books you have on your autumn TBR. I could pick just generic books that I need to read - there's enough of them! - but I'm going to try to pick some spooky reads for Halloween, and some books that are really to just curl up under a blanket with on a cold day.

10) 'Ashes to Ashes' by Jenny Han and Siobhan Vivian
This is kind of cheating, because I actually started 'Ashes to Ashes' this morning - the ash is reminiscent of bonfire night, so it links in that way, but it's also the perfect blend of contemporary and paranormal. 

9) 'Hello, Goodbye, and Everything In Between' by Jennifer E. Smith
I received Jennifer E. Smith's latest novel from her publisher last month, so I need to get round to it for review anyway. When I read 'The Geography of You and Me' it was very close to Christmas, so I do think her novels are perfect for those early nights. 

8) 'Simon Vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda' by Becky Albertalli
'Simon Vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda' has been on my TBR for a while, but I'm bumping it right up in autumn - it seems like a book I'm going to adore. 

7) 'Autumn' by David Moody
I've recently been recommended David Moody's Autumn series by a colleague. I'm pretty sure I read the first book a few years back, but never got around to progressing through the rest of the series, meaning this will be great to re-read. I mean, it ticks all the boxes. Autumnal? Check! Creepy synopsis? Check! Zombies? Check check check! With 'Fear The Walking Dead' and 'The Walking Dead' both being on TV this autumn, I can never get a big enough zombie fix. 

6) 'Shadow and Bone' by Leigh Bardugo
I promised myself I wasn't going to include any series starters, but I couldn't help myself. I mean, the atmospheric, grey, creepy cover is enough reason to pick this book up, but with "shadow" and "bone" both mentioned in the title - perfect for Halloween. 

5) 'Lips Touch: Three Times' by Laini Taylor
16114708
I've been meaning to read this selection of three short stories for a very long time, so I'm excited to finally get around to it. From what I can gather, 'Lips Touch' has nothing to do with the Daughter of Smoke and Bone trilogy, which means I won't be getting spoilers from the series by picking up this book, but I will still get to enjoy Laini's writing. 

4) 'Landline' by Rainbow Rowell
Rainbow's writing is very feel good, meaning when it's dreary outside it's the perfect thing to brighten up your day. 

3) 'A Game of Thrones' by George R. R. Martin
The likelihood of me getting around to this one is pretty low, but what better time of year to read it! "Winter is coming" - get it, guys?!

2) 'The Coldest Girl In Coldtown' by Holly Black
I love Holly Black's writing (well, all that I've read so far) and this standalone novel looks delightfully spooky. I feel the cold, so whenever the temperature starts to drop I feel like the coldest girl in Coldtown, so this will work well for me. 

1) 'Trigger Warning' by Neil Gaiman
I was recommended this collection of short stories by a friend, and she made it sound like the damn creepiest thing ever. I love terrifying stories and I love short stories - this sounds like the perfect combination for me. Combine that with the creepy trees on the front cover... Perfect for Halloween. I'm probably just going to read a lot of Neil Gaiman in the next few months, but 'Trigger Warning' especially. 

8 comments:

  1. Shadow and Bone was good.
    Here is my Top Ten Autumn TBR list here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it! I've heard so many great things, can't wait.

      Delete
  2. Hi! Simon.... made my list. Jennifer E. Smith's novel looks good too! Great list :)
    My TTT
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen quite a few people putting it on theirs - I think it's all the people who procrastinated earlier in the year but still want to get it done by the New Year! :)

      Delete
  3. Really interesting picks!
    I really liked Simon Vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda when I read it earlier this year. Landline is really great as well! I really need to get to reading Shadow and Bone too. It's just waiting on my shelf!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It took so long, but I really wanted to make sure they worked with the season and complemented each other :) You should definitely pick up Shadow and Bone in autumn too!

      Delete
  4. I've been wanting to read Trigger Warning too! My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are quite a few new ones in this list for me. Thanks for sharing these.
    I think you would really enjoy a recent paranormal mystery from Alex Alexander.
    Ghost on the Lake (http://www.alexalexanderbooks.com).
    I can guarantee that you've never read one like this before. The plot is very unique with clever twists that you won't see coming and a really fascinating mind bender at times.
    I strongly recommend checking out some of the reviews on amazon and visiting the authors website. I don't think anything is going to top this one for me this year for spooky fall reading.

    ReplyDelete