Pages

Saturday 13 May 2017

Non-fiction books perfect for YA readers

Recently I've noticed that non-fiction for young adults seems to be getting more popular. There are definitely more titles on offer, that's for sure!
As someone who has been reading a lot of non-fiction for the last couple of years, I thought I'd take the opportunity to showcase ten of the best titles I've read and talk about ten of the books that I just can't wait to get my hands on.
I don't review non-fiction titles in-depth because there aren't many I don't like, but that means I forget to tell you guys all about the ones that I've deeply loved.

This is non-fiction at its best: not only are they educational and informative, they're also entertaining and absorbing.

10) 'Mind Your Head' by Juno Dawson
Image result for mind your head dawson
I'm cheating by recommending 'Mind Your Head', because I haven't actually read it completely yet. I got about halfway through, and it featured some advice that I'd never heard before and helped get me into a better place, so I decided to save the rest of the book in case I needed a pick me up in the future!

9) 'Being a Girl' by Hayley Long
Image result for being a girl hayley long
Both 'Mind Your Head' and 'Being a Girl' are illustrated by Gemma Correll, and that's what attracted me to this title in the first place: I only read it last year, so at 20 I knew nearly everything featured already! I read both the UK and US versions so that I could compare and contrast them, which was fascinating - the US versions celebrated a lot of inspirational women I'd never heard of before, which shows how you only learn some aspects of history by being part of the population of that country.

8) 'PostSecret: Extraordinary Confessions From Ordinary Lives' collected by Frank Warren
Image result for postsecret
PostSecret is an ongoing mail art project in which people write confessions on postcards and send them in. This means it's perfect for young people to read: not only does it put your worries and fears into perspective, it's an easy and fast read. 

7) 'You're Never Weird on the Internet (Almost)' by Felicia Day
Image result for you're never weird on the internet almost
I didn't know much about Felicia Day when I picked up this book, but my friend told me I'd love it and she was right. Felicia paved the way for geek girls everywhere, so I owe her a lot!

6) 'Ctrl, Alt; Delete: How I Grew Up Online' by Emma Gannon
Image result for ctrl alt del gannon
Continuing on with the theme of women on the internet, I absolutely loved Emma Gannon's reflections on growing up online. You'll laugh, you'll cringe, and you'll see yourself reflected in every page.

5) 'Everyday Sexism' by Laura Bates
Image result for everyday sexism bates
I want this book to become required reading in schools. It's such an honest exploration of the difficulties that women face every day just because of their gender.

4) 'I Call Myself A Feminist'
Image result for i call myself a feminist
This features essays from women under 30, so it's very relevant to young readers - even more so when you discover it has a contribution from Louise O'Neill!  

3) 'Girl Up' by Laura Bates
Image result for girl up laura bates
Everything Laura releases is gold. I couldn't resist recommending another of her releases: they're both utterly wonderful, and if you know nothing about feminism or why it's necessary, this is the perfect place to start. 

2) 'Bad Feminist' by Roxane Gay
Image result for bad feminist
You won't be able to stop yourself laughing out loud while you read 'Bad Feminist'. Roxane Gay is a hilarious writer, but she's not afraid to tackle serious topics too: there's something in this collection for everyone. 

1) 'Doing It!: Let's Talk About Sex' by Hannah Witton
Image result for doing it hannah witton
Hannah's book is the inspiration behind this post. I finished it yesterday and I ADORED every single page, and it's another book that I want to recommend to everyone! She's open and easy to relate to: I just want her to be my best friend.

Now, for the non-fiction releases that I NEED to read RIGHT NOW:

10) 'Jane Austen, the Secret Radical' by Helena Kelly
Image result for jane austen the secret radical
If you're told to read classics but you think Jane Austen's boring, you just need to learn more about her. I haven't read this just yet, so I don't know how dense it is, but it definitely looks appealing. 

9) 'Hunger' by Roxane Gay
Image result for hunger roxane gay
I absolutely adored 'Bad Feminist' (as you can probably guess by the fact that I just recommended it!) and I can't wait to read more of Roxane's non-fiction writing. 

8) 'I Am Malala' by Malala Yousafzai
Image result for i am malala
I'm fascinated by Malala's story. Anyone who can go through what she did and come out stronger on the other side is an inspirational role model.

7) 'The Gender Games' by Juno Dawson
Image result for juno dawson gender games
I love Juno Dawson's novels and I love non-fiction, so combining them is my dream. I can't wait to read Juno's observations on gender, because she definitely knows what she's talking about.

6) 'Women in Science: 50 Fearless Pioneers Who Changed the World' by Rachel Ignotofsky
Image result for women in science book
Historically, women's contributions to science have been attributed to their male colleagues and brushed under the carpet. It's about time someone gave them the recognition they deserved. 

5) 'Bad Girls Throughout History' by Ann Shen
Image result for bad girls throughout history
I love the art style on the cover of 'Bad Girls Throughout History'. I'm excited about this for the same reason I'm looking forward to reading 'Women in History' - I want to learn about more women who've done amazing things but aren't appreciated or widely known about. 

4) 'It's All In Your Head' by Rae Earl
'It's All In Your Head' was only announced this morning, but I NEED to get my shit together so it's going to offer me some helpful advice. 

3) 'Girling Up' by Mayim Bialik
Image result for girling up mayim bialik
Who doesn't love The Big Bang Theory? Not many people know that Mayim Bialik, who plays Amy, actually has a PhD - she doesn't just pretend to be smart, she's the smartest person on the show! I think this is going to be a brilliant title: women who work in STEM are fighting a losing battle, so they need more encouragement. 

2) 'Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls' by Elena Favilli
Image result for goodnight stories for rebel girls
'Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls' was funded through IndieGOGO, raising 1689% of its target, so it's safe to say that this was highly anticipated! It tells the history of inspirational women as though they were bedtime tales, but because they're completely true it's extremely educational.  

1) 'Here We Are: Feminism for the Real World' edited by Kelly Jensen
Image result for here we are kelly jensen
This collection is stuffed to the brim with contributors that I admire: Roxane Gay, Nova Ren Suma, Kody Keplinger, Siobhan Vivien, Amandla Stenberg... Need I go on? I know for a fact that I'm going to absolutely love 'Here We Are', I just need to get hold of a copy!

Are you a fan of non-fiction? If so, leave your recommendations down below - I can't wait to check them out!

3 comments:

  1. Great post, thanks for sharing!

    Hương Lâm với website Huonglam.vn chuyên cung cấp máy photocopy toshiba cũ và dòng máy máy photocopy ricoh cũ uy tín, giá rẻ nhất TP.HCM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for Sharing Information!
    White noise is used to drown out any annoying background noises. It works by restoring a sound equilibrium, which means that it will help reduce the amount of noise around you that grabs your attention, and steals your sleep! Noises that commonly prevent you from falling asleep, or that cause you to wake up in the night are masked by a calming background shhhhhhh. Sounds that commonly annoy us including tinnitus, disappear from our hearing, resulting in a long, restful sleep. Shop amazing collection of White Noise Machines with special discount, Hurry Up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. fix any type of relationship/marriage issues..I was able to win back my Ex lover with the help of….(Dr.mac@ yahoo. com)..

    ReplyDelete