Pages

Wednesday 3 August 2016

TOP FIVE WEDNESDAY: Top five books I've changed my mind about

(Top Five Wednesday was created by GingerReadsLainey. Find out more at the Goodreads group!)

Because I review books instantly after I finish them (normally!) it means that over time I end up thinking about books differently. I give books really high ratings because I'm excited and caught up in the moment, but really they're not as great as I first believed.
These five books have that problem.

5) 'Morning Star' by Pierce Brown
When I finished 'Morning Star', I decided I wanted to give it 4 stars. I gave it 5, but I wanted to give it 4... That hasn't changed, and I still think I should have rated it lower than I did. 

4) 'Allegiant' by Veronica Roth
When I finished 'Allegiant', I gave it 5 stars... Which dropped to 4 stars within a couple of months of thinking about it, and should be 2 stars by now. I don't like readjusting ratings without re-reading books, though, so I'm going to give the entire series another go before the release of the fourth... Movie? TV adaptation? Whatever the heck they're doing with it now.

3) 'Jonas' by Eden Maguire
The Beautiful Dead series is awful. It's a four book series, and it's the same story recycled over and over again, with only a few minor details changed each time. However, I read it when I was obsessed with angels and the plight of true love in the face of death... So I gave it 5 stars. It should have been 3 at best. 

2) The Pretty Little Liars novels
Over the years I've given more than one of the Pretty Little Liars novels 5 stars, but I don't think any of them really deserved that. The entire series seems to be a 2-3 star average. 

1) 'Landline' by Rainbow Rowell
I gave 'Landline' 5 stars, but it definitely should have been 2 or 3. It was bland and boring, and I can't imagine what possessed me to give it such a high rating.

I hope you enjoyed this Top Five Wednesday! What books have you changed your mind about? 

1 comment:

  1. Great Top 5! :D I didn't even finish the Divergent Trilogy because I was spoiled wit the ending. I guess I'll just stick with the movies for now... My T5W!

    ReplyDelete