Pages

Wednesday 4 November 2015

TOP FIVE WEDNESDAY: Top five series novellas

(Top Five Wednesday was created by GingerReadsLainey. Find out more at the Goodreads group!)

I don't read many series novellas - I thought I did, but I've been through my Goodreads and I've hardly been able to find any for this Top Five Wednesday! So the ones underneath are really the only novellas that I've read, rated in order.

5) 'The Bane Chronicles' by Cassandra Clare, Maureen Johnson and Sarah Rees Brennan
I've only placed 'The Bane Chronicles' so low because I actually haven't finished the entire novel. I was purchasing the short stories to read on my Kindle, but when I found out it was going to become a physical bind-up I stopped reading them monthly, so I'm quite a bit behind. These aren't exactly 'The Mortal Instruments' novellas, but they're short stories telling the life of Magnus Bane, and they're very humorous and enjoyable. 

4) 'Engage' by Erica Crouch
The second of Erica Crouch's novellas, 'Engage' tells the story of Kala and Ana, two angels who fell to start a revolution and attempt to fix the world. I love Kala - I think she's one of the best angel characters I've ever read - so I really enjoyed this story, but I wanted it to be so much longer. 

3) 'The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner' by Stephenie Meyer
When I first read 'The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner' (the day that it released!) I fell in love. It was my favourite book in the entire 'Twilight' series, and told a brilliant story. It's been quite a while since the novel came out, and quite a while since I first read the 'Twilight' series, so I think they're due for a re-read soon. 

2) 'Entice' by Erica Crouch
I wasn't too sure on 'Ignite' series when I first started it. I'm not sure why, but I didn't really click with the first novel. However, this novella was where I really fell in love with the characters and devoured Erica's writing style. I sped through the rest of the series (including 'Engage', which was featured earlier) but 'Entice' definitely holds a special place in my heart - it's a retelling of the story of Adam and Eve from the viewpoint of the demons.

1) 'The Summoner: Origins' by Taran Matharu
'Origins' is a prequel novella, that perfectly introduces the Summoner universe. The characters introduced in the prequel also crop up in the main series, so it's cohesive and it makes a lot of sense. I really enjoyed this novella, which is one of the reasons that I dived straight into the main series. 

If I've learnt one thing from this, it's that I need to read more novels that come with novellas! There are novellas for the Delirium trilogy and from Sally Green's series, I just haven't gotten around to reading them yet - this is something I need to address.

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely adore the Bane Chronicles <3 and I also love The Novice so I need to read Origins soon because it also sounds great! Lovely post

    Enchanted by YA: http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/ya-shot-wrap-up-haul.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Origins - it works beautifully as a self-contained story, but it's also a great way to intro into the series.

      Delete