Pages

Monday 1 February 2016

January Wrap-up!

Hello, internet friends!
I've been thinking about introducing wrap-up posts for quite a while, but it was one of those things I never got around to. However, this month it's starting, and you can look forward to my wrap-up posts coming monthly.
This wrap-up will include bookish things and musical things, so buckle your seatbelts and come along for the ride...

Bookish wrap-up: 
This month I read 24 books, including three non-fiction titles and three graphic novels.

For the #2016ClassicsChallenge, I read 'Alice's Adventures In Wonderland' by Lewis Carroll, which I really enjoyed rediscovering.

For my personal series challenge, I finally finished the Splintered trilogy by A. G. Howard! I also caught up with the Embassy Row series.
I actually started more series than I finished, including the Autumn quadrilogy by David Moody, Melissa Lander's 'Alienated' trilogy, and the Changers series by Allison Glock-Cooper and T. Cooper.

The best book I read this month? 'All Of The Above' by James Dawson!

The worst book I read this month? 'Be Careful What You Witch For' by Thomas Hoobler. 

Musical wrap-up: 
I went to three concerts this month, but the best concert by far was Panic! at the Disco at Brixton O2 Academy

That means it's no surprise that my album of the month is 'Death of a Bachelor'. It's not a perfect album - there are songs that just don't feel right - but the majority of the tracks are brilliant and I'm very happy with the direction Brendon has taken the band in.
My lyric of the month comes from 'The Good, The Bad, and The Dirty': "If you wanna start a fight you better throw the first punch, make it a good one." 

Other albums of note were Coasts self-titled release (which was solid, except a lot of the songs sounded the same: very standard indie, but it'll be perfect for the summer months) and the Mystery Jet's fifth album, 'Curve of the Earth' (a lot of the songs are over five minutes, so you need to be patient with this one!). Also released was 'Backbone' by ROAM (but my copy of that has only arrived this morning, so I haven't had a chance to formulate an opinion on it yet!). 

However, my song of the month has to be The Summer Set's comeback single, 'Figure Me Out'. 

Yes, it sounds like One Direction's 'Best Song Ever' (which sounds like The Who's 'Baba O'Reilly'), so it's not the most unique sounding song: I just really appreciate the fact that The Summer Set are back and the new video is beautiful. 

So that's my January wrap-up! What were your favourite things about the first month of 2016? 

2 comments:

  1. January looks to have treated you well! I wish I could have gone to that concert, I haven't listened to Panic! at the Disco's new album yet but I've loved their music before :D reading wise, 24 books is amazing! I read half that amount because I had so much else going on that took my time and attention away (how dare it! XD) hopefully in February I can start cutting down my TBR :) happy reading
    Enchanted by YA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with your February reading! I highly recommend listening to the new Panic! album - it's much stronger than their last release, and it's SO MUCH FUN. Like, seriously. So many singalongs :P

      Delete